The Driehaus Capital Management Virtual Portfolio Competition is designed to stimulate student interest in investment portfolio management, promote the spirit of teamwork and emphasize the importance of research in investment decision-making.
Student teams create and manage a "virtual" portfolio using an online trading system. They will be evaluated on their management of the portfolio according to their adherence to a chosen investment strategy, rationale for stock selection, compliance with the competition's guidelines and portfolio return. The competition will run during the academic year from fall quarter through spring quarter, and will provide cash prizes to students on winning teams, courtesy of Driehaus Capital Management:
First Place Team: $8,000
Second Place Team: $6,000
Third Place Team: $4,000
Who is Eligible?
- DePaul University declared finance majors in their junior or senior year (They must have completed FIN 310 and applied to Finance Department to declare the major by start of fall quarter.)
- Cumulative overall GPA of 2.5 or better
- NOTE: No previous investment coursework or experience is required!
How to Apply
- Form a team of three to four members.
- Each student must complete an Application Form (below). Attach your resume and a one-page essay discussing your teamwork skills, including examples of how you have effectively contributed to a team effort. Please include the names of your team members on the application!
Check back here soon for the application.
Each team must have a minimum of three and maximum of four students; up to 12 teams will be selected.
All team members must meet the eligibility guidelines in order for the team to participate.
All participants must be enrolled at DePaul for the full academic year.
Team members will attend a kickoff workshop in September and three presentation meetings to be held on a Friday in November, February and May during the competition.