College of Business > About > Centers & Institutes > Real Estate Center > About
The Real Estate Center serves as the productive home for Chicago's real estate community and an active network of students and alumni, public institutions, private real estate firms, scholars and executives-in-residence. The Real Estate Center provides not only traditional academic programs but high-profile continuing education and conferences of specific interest to the real estate community.
DePaul University, one of the nation's largest private universities and home of a highly regarded MBA program, has been located at the heart of Chicago's civic, business and legal communities for more than a century. The Department of Real Estate at DePaul University builds on more than 90 years of real estate education. DePaul offered its first real estate course in 1913, and has been offering a wide range of undergraduate courses for more than 60 years and MBA-level courses since 1975.
Today, DePaul offers the most comprehensive array of real estate courses available in Chicago at both the graduate and undergraduate levels. DePaul's academic programs in real estate are fully accredited and built on the solid foundation of course offerings, including real estate analysis, valuation, finance and investments.
AACSB International-The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business accredits the MBA program at DePaul's Kellstadt Graduate School of Business. Real Estate majors are able to reach across academic boundaries to create a truly interdisciplinary pursuit. Students at both the graduate and undergraduate levels may take courses in finance, economics, public policy, geography, marketing, management, entrepreneurship, sociology and law.
DePaul University has had a profound role in shaping key areas of Chicago. A part of the Lincoln Park neighborhood since the university's founding in 1898, the nation's largest Catholic university has steadily increased its local presence and has brought solidity to the area during periods of encroaching blight.
Also an early pioneer in the development of the emerging South Loop, DePaul introduced business classes in downtown Chicago in 1915 and over the following decades acquired and developed key buildings for its Loop Campus. The landmark Goldblatt's Building at State Street and Jackson Boulevard was transformed into the DePaul Center, a textbook example of adaptive re-use that earned the prestigious Award for Excellence in Rehabilitation from the Urban Land Institute.
DePaul also acquired the Blackstone Theatre in 1988, now named the Merle Reskin Theatre, home to the Theatre School and the School of Music. The university continues its growth in the booming South Loop with the construction of the University Center student residence in a creative venture with two other universities.
Whether it is taught in the classroom or practiced in the urban environment, excellence in real estate is a tradition at DePaul University.