Darren Guccione (MSA 1996), a technology entrepreneur, serial inventor and the CEO co-founder of Keeper Security, is grateful for all the opportunities that his DePaul University Master of Science in Accountancy degree has afforded him.
Today, Guccione leads business strategy and leadership at Keeper Security, a Chicago-based password and cloud security SAAS application that has doubled its sales in the past year and now has over 7.5 million users.
With a background in industrial and mechanical engineering and lofty goals to innovate and create his own business ventures, Guccione sought a graduate business degree that would provide practical knowledge in both accountancy and business to support his career goals. He found that a MSA degree from DePaul offered "a fully-faceted approach in understanding the mechanics and nuances of a business operation," he says.
"Accounting is deeply integrated into the flow of business operations, and the MSA is absolutely one of the best business degrees you can receive," says Guccione. The degree also offered him proper courses to sit for the CPA exam — which he passed on the first try.
The DePaul MS in Accountancy Advantage
The Masters of Science in Accountancy covers relevant accounting industry knowledge while delivering a solid business education. It differs from an MBA by being more specialized. DePaul's MS program takes a thorough look into the world of accounting and, for students, builds the foundation to excel in today's changing regulatory environment. While earning the MSA degree, students also fulfill the requirements needed to sit for the Certified Public Accountant (CPA) examination.
Who should apply for DePaul's MSA?
DePaul's MS in Accountancy degree is tailored to business-minded individuals who are interested in learning the accounting function and would like to sit for the CPA exam. There are several specific types of students who benefit from this degree:
- Career changers and accounting majors. People with non-business undergraduate degrees who are in the midst of career changes, or those who have accounting undergraduate degrees and would like to go on to pursue a career in accounting are candidates for this degree. With a limited exposure to business operations, career changers with this degree can master the accounting field and bolster their career options with the potential to earn the CPA designation.
- Working professionals. Career-minded employees in the business setting who are looking to complete the requirements to sit for the CPA exam are ideal applicants, as well working professionals who want to learn more about the accounting functions within a business. The MSA may complement their business, finance or economics degrees and allow them the professional designation and credibility to breakthrough into the accounting track.
- International students. While the CPA license is a United States designation, for international students looking to land a job in a global company, the degree and certification are portable throughout multinational corporations and accounting firms which adopt U.S. accounting standards.
Benefits of DePaul's MSA Program
- Highly ranked. DePaul's MSA was ranked No. 3 in the nation in a survey of accountancy hiring authorities conducted by TaxTalent.com.
- Online option. DePaul's Master of Science in Accountancy Online offers the same high-quality instruction, outstanding faculty and content-rich curriculum as its on-campus counterpart, but with increased flexibility.
- Alumni network. Graduates of the MSA program have access to the largest accounting and tax professional networks in Chicago.
- Downtown Chicago location. The Kellstadt Graduate School of Business's location in Chicago's Loop provides students with access to the world's largest accounting firms — in addition to the hundreds of other companies based in the city's center. Many of the top accounting firms recruit graduates from the MSA program.
What is the Career Outlook for DePaul MSA Graduates?
Employers are impressed with DePaul MS in Accountancy alumni because they know that these graduates have met the state requirements to sit for the CPA exam and have been given everything they need to pass. DePaul MSA graduates achieve some of the highest internship and job placement opportunities in the entire School of Accountancy, with 90 to 95 percent job placement in related fields.
Request more information DePaul's Master of Science in Accountancy
Read more about Darren Guccione in Crain's Chicago Business