DePaul University faculty and staff celebrated the beginning of the 121st academic year during the annual academic convocation ceremony at St. Vincent de Paul Parish in Lincoln Park Aug. 30.
Following a procession led by faculty and staff to the church, Provost Marten denBoer shared opening remarks with the university community, outlining key initiatives the university will pursue in the year ahead with the launch of DePaul's new strategic plan, Grounded in Mission: The Plan for DePaul 2024. President A. Gabriel Esteban, PhD. offered closing remarks reflecting on the promise of the year ahead.
During the ceremony, the university honored faculty and staff for their public service, advising, scholarly achievements and more. Sixteen faculty members were selected for Excellence in Teaching Awards, including business faculty members Michael Lynch, adjunct professor of hospitality leadership; James Mourey, assistant professor of Marketing; and Molly Mercer, associate professor of accountancy. The award recognizes significant achievements in teaching as well as a commitment to the university’s teaching mission.
Academic advisors throughout the university received Gerald Paetsch Academic Advising Awards, which recognize advising staff members who demonstrate a commitment to student success and Vincentian values. Kellstadt Graduate School of Business Academic Advisor Ellen Dawson was one of four DePaul advisors to receive the award.
The ceremony also recognized 40 faculty members who recently received promotion and tenure. Seven business faculty were included:
- Nezih Altay, Department of Management & Entrepreneurship, promoted to professor
- Cindy Durtschi, School of Accountancy & MIS, promoted to professor
- Andrew Gallan, Department of Marketing, promoted to associate professor with tenure
- Grace Lemmon, Department of Management & Entrepreneurship, promoted to associate director of the Doctorate in Business Administration program
- Molly Mercer, School of Accountancy & MIS, promoted to professor
- Lisa Thomas, School of Hospitality Leadership, promoted to associate professor with tenure
- Nicholas Thomas promoted to director of the School of Hospitality Leadership and associate professor with tenure.