The Department of Economics provides students with skills that are applicable to many fields and gives students a wide spectrum in career options upon graduation.
Economic Theory has Broad Applications
Economics teaches students to think critically and analytically; it gives the skills necessary to analyze data, and the ability to communicate findings to a wide array of constituents. The Economics Department strives to give majors the tools to diagnose complex problems, develop innovative solutions and make a business case for those solutions in any industry — business, government or nonprofit.
Students will learn about economic phenomena and the theories that explain it. By studying the broader historical and social context in which economics is applied, students will have the skills necessary to address problems in a changing national and global economy. Courses cover a range of topics such as international trade, urban economics, economic history, the role of the government in the economy, money and banking, economic development, labor markets, poverty, environmental economics and gender.
Relevant, Cutting-Edge Coursework
- Courses explore the factors that affect unemployment, inflation, production and distribution, economics growth and international economics relations.
- Coursework emphasizes the need for accurate knowledge of business institutions and economic theories capable of explaining economic cause and effect.
- Students learn to analyze economic data to identify and address problems that arise in a changing national and global economy while studying the broader historical and social context.
Where Can Your Degree Take You?
MS EPA Alumni program are employed at:
- European Central Bank
- U.S. Department of Commerce
- Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago
- The Cato Institute
- The Congressional Research Service
- CH Robinson
- Ernst & Young
- Berkley Research Group LLC
- Northern Trust Hedge Fund Services
- Towers Watson
- Baker & McKenzie
- DC Fiscal Policy Institute
- Peak6 Investments
- UBS Global Asset Management
- Worldwide Orphanage Relief Coalition
1 E. Jackson Blvd., Suite 6200
Chicago, IL 60604
Anthony C. Krautmann
Follow us on Facebook