College of Business > Academics > Department of Economics > Student Resources > FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

You may send an email to or call the Economics Department at (312) 362-8781.

General Questions

While DePaul does not offer a PhD program in economics, we offer an MS in Economics & Policy Analysis.

The Master of Arts program in economics has been suspended. The Department of Economics offers a MS in Economics & Policy Analysis through the Kellstadt Graduate School of Business.  

Undergraduate students interested in this graduate program have the option to do the combined bachelors/masters degree program


You can apply online or download an application. General admission inquiries can be sent to

International students should expect the admission process to take six months to one year. Those who have received undergraduate degrees from academic institutions in the U.S. should expect the process to take three to six months.

It is possible to take classes as a non-degree seeking student; however, you will first need to speak with an academic advisor. For undergraduate classes, please contact the Driehaus College of Business at (312) 362-5358 or Liberal Arts & Sciences at (773) 325-7310. For graduate classes, please contact Kellstadt Graduate School of Business at (312) 362-8810. More information on being a non-degree seeking student can be found on DePaul's admission page.

Yes, the classes you take as a non-degree seeking student may count toward your degree. However, each situation is handled on a case-by-case basis and the details must be arranged with your academic advisor.


DePaul offers two undergraduate degrees in economics — the BA from the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences and the BSB from the Driehaus College of Business. Students in both programs take required courses in microeconomics, macroeconomics, mathematics and statistics, and choose from a variety of economics electives. The difference in the two programs are the required courses outside of economics. The LAS degree requires allied field classes in the other social sciences, while the business degree requires core classes across all the business disciplines.

You should attend an inter-college transfer (ICT) workshop in the Driehaus College of Business. For a schedule of these workshops call (312) 362-5358. Completion of 12 credit hours at DePaul with a minimum of a 2.0 GPA is required to apply for an inter-college transfer.

The liberal studies junior year requirement can be satisfied in three ways:

Economics majors have held internships at a variety of organizations, including: an insurance company medical economics unit, brokerage/financial services companies, banks, law firms, Small Business Advocacy Council and the Chamber of Commerce. Students with internships can apply to take ECO 393 to fulfill their junior year experiential learning requirement. Find more information about economics internships. The Career Center also provides tips and resources for finding internships.   

Study Abroad
Students can spend a term or more abroad through the Study Abroad Program (receiving multiple course credits, including experiential learning) or participate in a shorter (usually two to three weeks) Foreign Study Tour through the Driehaus Center for International Business.

Driehaus Center for International Business Experiential Learning Courses
Several departments offer courses which carry experiential learning credit. These courses typically involve some sort of field work in the Chicago area. You can use Class Search to identify the list of courses being offered each term.

Yes, the Economics Club is a student organization sponsored by the Department of Economics. The Economics Club holds events throughout the academic year. Please see Student Organizations for more information.


Admission requirements differ by program. Admission requirements for the MS-EPA can be found here. The MBA admission requirements are here.

The GMAT is required for the MBA program. The MS-EPA program requires either the GRE or the GMAT.

New students should aim to start the program in the Fall Quarter. The admission deadline is July 1. Students can start in the winter and possibly in spring but will have less course choices. Please consult with the Gabriella Bucci, Director of Graduate Programs in Economics.

Yes, students can enroll in the program on a part-time or full-time basis. Please see the program page for more details.

The majority of the MS-EPA classes are offered at DePaul's Loop Campus.

While there are basic requirements for admission to the program, eligibility is determined on a case-by-case basis. Therefore, it is possible to be admitted to the program on a conditional basis upon review of your application and supporting materials.

Graduate Assistantships

The Department of Economics does offer teaching assistantships to students enrolled in the MS in Economics and Policy Analysis program. Graduate assistantships are also offered to students in the MS-EPA program.

Graduate assistantships are available to both international and domestic students who have been admitted to the MS-EPA program.

The deadline for graduate assistantship applications is June 1. However, priority consideration will be given to students who apply to the MS-EPA program by April 15.

No, letters of recommendation are not required. However, you may include letters of recommendation with your assistantship application if you would like them to be considered.

No, official transcripts are not required with the assistantship application.